No new states have been posted this week. States such as New York and a few others are so big that they take a lot of processing at the back end to make them searchable. Please be patient as we get them ready to post. I know that we are all excited to see new states posted, especially if it’s been a state you’ve been working on. We want to make sure they are as error free as possible and sometimes that takes a little extra time.
Below are the latest statistics for the project. They continue to be very encouraging.
- 115,886,258 names have been indexed and arbitrated.
- 29 states have searchable indexes on FamilySearch.org. These states include Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming.
- 4 additional states are 100% indexed and arbitrated and are in the final stage in preparation for posting.
- 5 additional states are 90% or more indexed and arbitrated.
- 14 states are 50% or more indexed.
- 4 states are still less than 50% indexed. To see the status of each state visit the 1940 US Census state-by-state progress map on the FamilySearch website.
- The 1940 US Census is currently 82% indexed and arbitrated.
- 150,990 indexers have signed up to index the 1940 US Census.